How to Submit Employee Address & Name Updates to ASAP

Please use the following options to submit employee name and address updates and other changes to ASAP. For security reasons, only authorized contacts may submit employee updates directly to us; employees can submit update requests via HUB to be approved by their manager. Also, if you have an employee name change, be sure to request a copy of the updated Social Security card to verify the new name before updating it in the payroll system.

Ways to Update Employee Info with ASAP

  1. If you have HUB activated for your employees, they can submit address change requests via the HUB Employee Portal. A manager needs to approve the change requests before they are updated in our system.
  2. Alternatively, payroll administrators may submit employee changes using our secure New Hire/Update Form. For security, changes must be submitted by an authorized contact in order to be processed. Please reach out to your account manager if you need the form password.
  3. An authorized contact may email name and address updates to us, but we prefer the above methods for extra security and tracking. DO NOT send sensitive information, such as SSN and account numbers, via email. Please use HUB, the online form, or call us with that information.
Year-End W-2 Edit Report: At the end of November, we upload a W-2 Edit Report to your ShareFile Client Portal that provides the current address on file for all employees who were paid in the calendar year. Please submit address changes to us by December 31 to ensure updates are reflected on their W-2 (this will save time and costs on corrections).