W2 FAQs for Employees of ASAP Payroll Clients

Each January, W2s are distributed for wages paid in the prior year. Our aim is to have W2s processed by mid-January; the deadline to postmark W2 copies to recipients is January 31. Unless your employer requested otherwise, your W2 will be mailed to your address on file (the one listed on your pay stubs).

Please Note: Address changes completed after December 31 may not be reflected on your W2. Undelivered W2 copies will be returned to your employer's mailing address. If you do not have a HUB Employee Portal account, please contact your supervisor or manager to request a copy of your W2.

What should I do if I lost my W2 or did not receive one?

If you have not received your W2 or cannot find it, contact your employer to inquire where it was sent. If it was mailed to a prior address, your employer can issue you an additional copy directly. For security reasons, we cannot provide additional W2 copies without working directly with an authorized contact at your organization. Please contact your employer with W2 reprint requests.

Can I get a copy of my W2 online?

Your W2s can be accessed in either HUB Employee Portal or isolved Employee Dashboard depending on which payroll platform is used by your employer. Current and former employees will be able to access their W2s in late January, and you will receive an email notification once they have posted.

Note: Not all employers utilize the HUB Employee Portal. If you have not accessed the portal previously, you will need to to request access from your employer.

Do I need the original W2 to file my tax return?

No, a reprinted W2 will work just fine for your tax return. In most cases, your employer will be able to print an additional copy directly from their files. If they have trouble or are too busy, they also can contact us and we will be able to release another copy. Either way, don't forget to give your employer your current mailing address, email address and phone number again just in case it has changed.

What if I started work in December? Will I still receive a W2?

It depends on when you were paid for hours worked in December. Confusion often arises when an employee started working for a new employer in December, but wasn't actually paid (date of check) until after the new year. It might seem strange, but W2 earnings are based on when they were paid not earned. You may want to confirm the date listed on your first paycheck before scrambling to find that missing W2.

What if my name or SSN is incorrect on my W2?

If your name or SSN is incorrect on your W2, please let your employer know so that we may work with them on correcting and issuing a W2c for your records. 

What if I have additional questions about my W2s?

If you have more questions, please review " Understanding Form W2" which addresses many more nuanced topics. In addition, we have addressed a few common questions such as why the W2 wages may be less than my annual salary, why the HSA box 12W is more than anticipated, or why TurboTax may instruct a restaurant employee they need a new W2. Further questions, should be addressed to your employer.

What should I do if I need my W2 and I can't locate my former employer or they're out of business?

If you didn't receive your W2 and your employer can no longer be reached, the IRS recommends these steps:

  1. Contact the IRS: If you do not receive your W-2 by February 27, contact the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. When you call, you must provide your name, address, city and state, including ZIP code, Social Security number, phone number, and have the following information:
    • Employer’s name, address, city and state, including ZIP code and phone number
    • Dates of employment
    • An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and when you worked for that employer. The estimate should be based on year-to-date information from your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if possible. 
  2. File your return: You still must file your tax return or request an extension to file even if you do not receive your W2. If you have not received your W2 by the due date, and have completed steps 1 and 2, you may use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W2, Wage and Tax Statement. Attach Form 4852 to the return, estimating income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible. There may be a delay in any refund due while the information is verified. 
  3. File a Form 1040X: On occasion, you may receive your missing W2 after you filed your return using Form 4852, and the information may be different from what you reported on your return. If this happens, you must amend your return by filing a Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

Missing W-2

¿No ha recibido el Formulario W-2?

Disclaimer: This information is provided as a self-help tool and does not constitute legal or financial advice. Laws, regulations and lending products are changing daily and decisions as to whether or how to use this information and/or what actions to take are solely those of the employer. The providers of this information disclaim any and all responsibility and liability for its accuracy, completeness or fitness for your particular business purposes.