Rehiring an Employee
When rehiring an employee within three years of his or her original hire date, you should consider these steps:
Review the employee's original I-9 Form:
- If the Form I-9 on file for the employee is still valid and it shows that they are still eligible to work, you can rely on the old form. However, you should update Section 3 with the date of rehire of the original Form I-9.
- If the Form I-9 on file is no longer valid to use or shows eligibility has expired, you must re-verify the employee's eligibility in Section 3 of the original Form I-9. If Section 3 was already filled in b/c of a previous re-hire, then use a new Form I-9.
- review the form any W4 withholding allowance changes
- check the employee's address against prior records
- compare updated employee direct deposit form against payroll record
Verify employee's compensation & eligibility for benefits:
- verify employee's pay rate(s) and/or salary
- verify employee's time off accrual set up
- verify employee's benefit elections for insurance premiums, retirement elections, etc.