Accounting Apps & Add-Ons for QuickBooks Online
Accounting Applications to Supplement Your QuickBooks Online Account
ASAP Accounting & Payroll, Inc.
You recently opened a QuickBooks Online account, which means you have made the leap to having at least a part of your accounting operations online. Running accounting operations online (a.k.a. - in the cloud) can be intimidating and sometimes overwhelming. ASAP always strives to help make things As Simple As Possible for you. We have been running a cloud-based operation for several years now and we have learned a thing or two in the process. Below you will find the accounting applications that we have used or continue to use and that we would highly recommend to you.
- Bill.com - Bill.com automates payables processing and accounts receivable, while seamlessly integrating with QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online. Users scan, fax, email, or upload via the Bill.com mobile app documents directly to their Bill.com inbox. Vendors email their bills directly to a Bill.com email and receive automatic confirmation when the bill is paid. The Bill.com mobile app allows users to approve and pay bills anytime, anywhere. Bill.com shortens payment turnaround and decreases hands-on bill pay management.
Fun Fact: Bill.com provides a training course and a Bill.com certification. Users can even add a Bill.com certified badge to an email signature, which looks impressive to any client.
- Receipt Bank - Receipt Bank is a slimmed down paperless bill management solution. Clients submit documents to Receipt Bank via the Receipt Bank mobile app, email, or desktop. Receipt Bank extracts the relevant information and categorizes and sorts the data according to the user's preferences. If Receipt Bank does not recognize the invoice, the user specifies how to categorize that invoice, which Receipt Bank memorizes for future reference. The incoming data is then auto-published to most accounting software.
Fun Fact: For those firms supporting clients in numerous countries, Receipt Bank is great with foreign currency support and currency exchange rates.
- Help Scout - Help Scout is an email management software that puts your shared email inbox on steroids. Shared mailboxes allow team members to see who is viewing an email and whether the client has viewed the email and when. Tags help categorize email conversations for easy reference. Help Scout's customizable saved replies expedite response time. Team members collaborate with notes and the @mention function. Help Scout's workflow automation tool eliminates repeatable tasks, while the reporting function tracks various productivity and satisfaction metrics.
Fun Fact: Instead of trying to flag and track several different emails with different titles, users can merge several related exchanges with one client into one easy to review email chain without impacting how it looks to the client. Also, the article you are currently reading, it was developed in Help Scout.
- Keeper - Keeper is a password management tool that allows users to only remember one password, their Keeper password. Enable multi-factor authentication in Keeper and those passwords are secure. Users create password folders that include the title of the password folder, the username, the password, and the link to which the username and password is associated. Once the information is saved in Keeper, Keeper recognizes login webpages and auto-fills the username and password for a streamlined login experience.
Fun Fact: Keeper allows secure password sharing. Co-workers can share passwords and clients can share QuickBooks passwords with their accountant.
- ShareFile - Cloud storage platforms are almost mandatory for any business. ShareFile has quickly made a name for itself in the cloud storage market. ShareFile supports secure file sharing via web, email, mobile application, and desktop; cloud storage; file sync; client portals; workflow management; e-signatures; among numerous other features. There are no file size limits with ShareFile, and most files upload in mere seconds.
Fun Fact: When sharing a file, file managers set restrictions on how the file is accessed, including determining how many times the file can be accessed, for how long, and by whom.
- Typeform or Formstack - Typeform and Formstack are online digital form platforms. Instead of sending bland PDFs, users develop customized, branded, and engaging forms that are statistically proven to increase response and completion rates. Forms include dropdowns, dates, multiple choice, yes/no, and opinion scales. Either platform integrates with email applications and will send notifications when a form is complete. Typeform is less robust but also easier to learn and use. Formstack has a slightly higher learning curve but provides more in-depth features and greater data security.
Fun Fact: Typeform and Formstack provide templates and allow users to create templates from scratch. Users save time but do not sacrifice design by developing a template that reflects their business and then using it time and time again to produce results.
- Quote Roller - Quote Roller is a document automation and consolidation tool commonly used by sales teams for quotes, proposals, and contracts. Quote Roller expedites document assembly by using templates, preset content blocks, and auto-calculation. Users typically experience a decrease in response time getting documents to clients, an increase in client response rates, and an increase in deal closures thanks to this automation tool. Quote Roller integrates with CRMs, cloud storage, and accounting applications.
Fun Fact: Quote Roller document analytics allow users to review which sections of a contract clients spend the most time reviewing.
- Asana - Asana is a start to finish project management tool that supports tasks, projects, conversations, and dashboards. Asana allows team members to review project progress at a glance or go in-depth with custom tracking tools. Team members assign start and due dates, assign tasks to themselves or others, and assign who receives update alerts. Asana projects are scalable, from large and inclusive projects with subtasks and reminders, to small ideas that simply need a conversation flow.
Fun Fact: Teams invite their vendors and customers into Asana projects by making them Limited Access Members. This gesture of transparency can really generate bonus points.
- Calendly - Calendly streamlines the scheduling process. Users integrate their existing calendar with Calendly to show availability and to prevent double-booking without showing what the other appointments are. Calendly allows users to create custom appointments, including the appointment purpose, length, and dates and times of availability. Users simply share a link to their Calendly calendar and clients book the appointment online. The user receives an email notification when an appointment is booked.
Fun Fact: Calendly allows users to incorporate mandatory or optional questions that clients complete before booking the appointment; therefore, users go into meetings well-prepared.
- Shogo - Shogo is a cloud-based service that integrates the most popular point-of-sales applications with QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online. Shogo allows users to map their point-of-sales data with their accounting software, including revenues, taxes, tenders, and cash drawer events. Shogo automatically posts entries on a regular recurring basis, data that is easily accessible anytime, anywhere online. Users can analyze business performance historically or forecast.
Fun Fact: Shogo translated from Japanese to English means to clear or to verify, which is certainly backed by the application's ability to clarify the accounting process and streamline taxes.
There you have it, ten accounting applications to supplement your QuickBooks Online account. If you are unsure about how to get started, or need guidance in determining which applications are best for your business, you can always rely on ASAPs Managed Services team. We enjoy and excel in providing you the resources to do business whenever and wherever you are. Send us an email, chat message, or give us a call; we would love to hear from you.