QuickBooks Online vs. QuickBooks Desktop
In this article
- Benefits of QuickBooks Online
- Benefits of QuickBooks Desktop
- QuickBooks Online Key Features
- Can I switch from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop, or vise versa?
Not sure if you're ready to make the leap from your desktop version of QuickBooks to QuickBooks Online? Consider the following factors to determine which is right for you.
QuickBooks Online is a great tool for you if:
- you want flexibility to work on the go from your computers and mobile devices
- you are comfortable with cloud computing environment where data is stored online and only accessible with an internet connection
- you are looking for a zero maintenance software (updates automatically occur and new features rolled out automatically)
- you want to explore automation (now, or anytime in the future) including automatic bank feeds, automatically schedule and send transactions, seamless integration with 3rd party applications, and more.
At ASAP, we recommend the QuickBooks Online Plus version as it’s most comparable to the desktop version as far as reporting and features, but more importantly because of the 1099 vendor management is worth every penny to help prep those 1099s at year end.
On the flip side, the desktop software is more suitable if:
- You have robust inventory, job costing, or custom reporting needs (light inventory available with QBO)
- You need to create invoices in batch or perform progress invoicing and/or partial purchase orders
- You have a variety of price levels and/or billing rate levels
- You need to batch enter timesheets
- You utilize QuickBooks Statement Writer
For more in-depth review of specific features, check out this comparison from Merchant Maverick.
Does QuickBooks Online still sound attractive to you? The following are key features our QuickBooks Online clients enjoy:
- iPhone, iPad, Android apps that sync key tasks across all devices.
- Bank and Credit Card transactions automatically downloaded.
- Light inventory capabilities and expenses tracked by job.
- Access to Intuit's App Marketplace for applications that seamlessly integrate.
ASAP offers QuickBooks Online to our clients at a discounted rate through our exclusive accountant program with Intuit. We recommend the QuickBooks Online Plus edition for a variety of reasons which we would be happy to share with you.
Contact us for more information.
Can I switch from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop, or vise versa?
Yes, you can do either. Exporting your data from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop, or from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online is simple and easy; HOWEVER, there are a lot of factors to consider and prepare for before you begin the transition process. You can let the experts at ASAP help facilitate the process and prepare your file for you at a reasonable rate. That way, you ensure that you do not lose any data or that the structure or accuracy of your data is not compromised. Please contact email@example.com to discuss rates for this service.